Sunday, November 30, 2008

10 Things to do in St. Louis in December

1. Hope for the Holidays Gala (Dec. 6th): I couldn't be more excited for this event on Saturday! Not only is it another great fundraiser for Stray Rescue, but John Garcia from Dogtown will be there! I really hope to get Levi's photo taken with John and I might have purchased a little something special for Levi to wear:) The event is at Third Degree Glass Factory, the same place that hosted Barkaritaville earlier this year. If it's anything like Barkaritaville, it will be a blast.

2.
"Fun on the Freeway" 5k (Dec. 14th): Come check out the new and improved Highway 40 renovation before you can drive on it. Curse the first closure phase no longer as you jog along the highway and mentally prepare for the second closure phase. Hey, we should be so grateful that it is reopening a whopping two weeks early!

3.
Lafayette Square 2008 Holiday Parlor Tour (Dec. 14th): Lafayette Square is on my list of "city neighborhoods I'd love to live in." I am always in awe of the spectacular historic painted lady homes and I vow that this will be the year that I attend the Holiday Parlor Tour! I am eager to see these gorgeous homes decorated in all their glory.

4. U.S. Bank Wild Lights at the Zoo (through Dec. 14th): Here's your chance to roam around the zoo after hours and admire the nearly 500,000 lights on display. I have been to this event in the past and would highly recommend it. Personally, I'd rather be at the zoo this time of year with a cup of hot chocolate than in the height of St. Louis' heat and humidity.

6. St. Charles Christmas Traditions (through Dec. 27th): Your eyes don't deceive you! I'm writing about an event way out there in the 'burbs (what can I say; I'm a city girl, so that's where my interests lie). Come see people dressed up in olden day costumes, singing carols, and roasting chesnuts on a open fire. I'm intrigued by the "authentically costumed Santas from around the world." This looks like another great family event, but who doesn't like chesnuts and Santa? The shops on Main Street stay open late as well.

6. Brunch at the Jewel Box (Sundays through Dec. 28th): I know some ladies that read my blog were married here, so here's your chance to relive that magical day with brunch and a pointsetta show. Santa will be visiting on 12/7 and 12/14 if you are interested in revealing your naughty/nice status.

7. First Night St. Louis (Dec. 31st): I thought a lot about whether I would blog about all the events happening on New Year's in the city, but I decided to just stick to First Night. If you aren't familiar with First Night, it is basically a family-oriented New Year's celebration that is expressed through the arts. And it's non-alcoholic! I'm not ready to part with champagne on my New Year's, but it really is a great event for families or people who would rather be cultured than boozed up. There are even fireworks at 9:00 and midnight!

8. Tilles Park Winter Wonderland (through Jan. 4th): I am eager to return to this drive-through light display since I may have seen an elf doing naughty things to a stuffed bear one year. Okay, he was just sewing the bear, but it looked a little strange from my vantage point. If you'd like to ride through the park in a carriage, you can do so on Saturdays when the route is closed to cars.

9. Gardenland Express (through Jan. 6th): There are many holiday events at the Botanical Garden, but this one is the biggest. Gardenland Express is the annual train and flower show at the Garden. I will admit that I've never gone, but I know my sister has taken my nephews and it's supposed to be pretty amazing. There are little ski chalets and villages set up for the trains to ride through. This is the closest I'll be getting to a ski chalet anytime soon!

10. The Fox, Powell Symphony Hall, and the Saint Louis Ballet: Lots of classic holiday-themed shows occurring this month. At The Fox we have "The Christmas Sweater," Manheim Steamroller, and Radio City Christmas Spectacular with The Rockettes. Powell features tons of stuff (I'll let you check out the website), including a viewing of "The Wizard of Oz," with the orchestra playing the music live. Doesn't that sound cool? Finally, you can really get cultured by seeing "The Nutcracker" at the Saint Louis Ballet.

Happy December, everyone!

8 comments:

Coree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Coree said...

Thanks for the list! I like when you do these lists.

I did the St. Charles Christmas Traditions on Friday night because I only live a couple of blocks from Main Stret. It was pretty fun. The people in the costumes are great and pretty funny. It's like stepping back in time. It really helped that the weather wasn't freezing that night.

Jen said...

I love these lists! Thanks for giving me some fun ideas this month :)

Maria said...

I also love your lists. I think we are going to do Zoo Lights and the Fun on the Freeway. Thanks Mary! :-)

Claire said...

Ok, I'm not original here, but I also love these lists! I rarely get to do anything on them, though, because it seems that my life is scheduled for weeks ahead.

I might have to work in the Lafayette Square thing, though. Oh, who am I kidding...I'll just end up at Bailey's & 33!

Kristal said...

Great list! Chad and I went to Wild Lights last year and loved it. And this year we're going to see Mannheim Steamrollers at The Fox. We may have to check out a few other things from your list though!!

Lisa said...

St. Chuck representing :). So many fun things to do and unfortunately, we are so busy with holiday parties in December that we don't usually make it to any of them...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post and for sharing with us all of these great events! Here is another article I found with some great holiday stuff to do right here in St. Louis that I thought I would share: http://bit.ly/gWH7Xu. Happy Holidays!