Monday, March 30, 2009

10 Things to do in St. Louis in April

Well, I'm home sick today. I've been feeling rather run down due to being incredibly busy at school, working some long days, and the constant running in preparation for the upcoming half-marathon on top of my usual workouts and I guess it's all catching up with me. After sneezing all day yesterday, I woke up this morning and wanted to die. It's time for me to take a break, although I hate doing it because I have so much work to do at school. Blah. Anyway, I apologize for not commenting on blogs lately, but I haven't even gotten my computer out of its bag many nights. Things are going to get nuts pretty soon at school (more in another post), so sorry if I'm MIA.

After taking a break for the last few months, the "10 Things to do in St. Louis" post is back for April.

1. ALIVE Magazine Bartender Contest (Apr. 5th): This event is waaaaay to hip for the likes of me (and late-the second round starts at 9pm! Yeah, I'm old), but I thought you cool people might like to check out some of the area's hottest/most talented bartenders compete Top Chef-style (according to the website) for a cash prize. I admit I am intrigued by Lauren Zoanetti's picture and bio, which simply states that Lauren is "Pepper Lounge's hottest bartender!" Well, good for her! But can she mix a drink?

2. Cardinals Opening Day 2009 (Apr. 6th): The weather is supposed to be nice for this year's home opener. Even if you don't have tickets, dowtown is one big party on opening day. I went a few years ago and definitely had my fair share of fun. Too bad if you have to work on Monday, or Tuesday, for that matter. You'll probably need a day to recover.

3. Adult Easter Egg Hunt (Apr. 10th & 11th): There are many Easter Egg Hunts in the next few weeks (for adults, for children, even for dogs), but I've heard about this hunt in Queeny Park and have wanted to attend for the last few years. Apparently thousands (!) of eggs are hidden throughout the wooded park at night and great prizes are awarded. I'm going to try to make this one.

4. Italian Film Festival of St. Louis (Apr. 10th-25th): Watch Italian movies for FREE at Wash U during this film festival. Eight recent releases will be screened in Italian with English subtitles. Go to the link above to check out the films and a synopsis for each.


5. Repeal of Prohibition Beer Festival (Apr. 18th): I'm going to miss this event at Schlafly Bottleworks because it's the day before the half-marathon, but it sounds like so much fun. There will be 20 beers to sample, including some microbrews from Tennessee. You get unlimited tastings for only $25, plus you take home a commemorative glass.

6. GO! St. Louis Family Fitness Weekend (Apr. 18th & 19th): Although I'm somewhat dreading this weekend because it culminates in the half-marathon, there are actually fun events occurring as well. There's a fitness expo where they have a lot of vendors and freebies and various "races" like a children's mile and a mature mile. Or, you can come early Sunday to watch me grasp my butt and cry out for mercy from the scourge that is my bursitis (hey, my doctor gave me the green light).

7. Greater St. Louis Book Fair (Apr. 23rd-26th): Love to read? Love movies? Love music? Love bargains? This book (and CD, DVD, record, tape, etc) fair is the biggest "book" sale in the midwest. It's held in the parking lot at West County Mall and is free! Stock up on books to read for the year and save money at the same time.

8. Chinese Culture Days (Apr. 25th & 26th): Come celebrate Chinese culture, art, and cuisine (yummy) at the Missouri Botanical Garden. The festival features a 70-ft dragon! That dances!

9. St. Louis Earth Day (Apr. 26th): Held annually in Forest Park, this Earth Day event is huge. I know because in the past I've forgotten about it and sat in traffic in Forest Park while trying to cut through to the other side. There will be food, demos, education, and entertainment. I can't believe I've never attended, but am going to try to make it this year.


10. Twilight Tuesdays (Apr. 28th): I've written about Twilight Tuesdays before, but these concerts in front of the Missouri History Museum are worth mentioning again because they are free and are delightful if the weather cooperates. They run every Tuesday through June 9th, so you have time to check out one of the local bands playing.

Happy April and Happy Easter. I'm off to take some more cold medicine.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

this list makes me want to move back to st. louis STAT. but more importantly, feel better soon!

Kristal said...

Great list! I'm going to try to check a couple of these event out. And you know I'll be cheering you on on the 19th!!!

Angie said...

Thanks for posting this list! There are so really cool things on there that I didn't know about.
You rock.
Feel better!

Leftturnyielder said...

Where do you always find these great things? Thanks for reminding me about the book fair. I missed it last year.

Hope you feel better.

Maria said...

I need to look into the Adult Easter Egg Hunt. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Feel better soon!!

N. said...

Yea! I've missed your lists.

Amber said...

Thanks for this list! I am so PUMPED about the book fair. I have lived here almost 10 years and never knew it existed...