Here is the area we covered. Notice the boxwood wreath that has been hanging since (gulp) Christmas over our dumb TV.
My parents "loaned" me those lovely paintings flanking our ghetto entertainment unit. I still wanted to put something above the TV because there is just so much space and it is (pathetically) the focal point of the room, after all!
I researched several sites that sell wall decals, including dVider and Raging Vinyl. In the end, we went with Blik. It was extremely overwhelming to choose a wall decal when faced with a multitude of choices and colors. Furthermore, envisioning the wall decal in the actual space was a challege for two non-creative types. In the end, we chose a very simple, floral design, Cyclamen. Blik describes them as "elegant, whimsical, and extremely gigantic." Good enough for me! And for $50, I would say that's pretty cheap wall art for such a large space.
The decals arrived all rolled up in a tube. They basically came on sheets that had grids printed on the back. The most annoying part of the process was probably cutting the shapes out of the sheets. Each flower and stem had to be cut out separately.
Here are some (blurry) pictures of Jason cutting out the decals:
Next we taped all the components to the wall to get a sense of how to arrange them. Again, a challenge for the two of us. We had to consult the image the company sent many times to get inspiration. Yes, we copied exactly how the flowers bend and where to place the stem on the flower. Hey, baby steps.
Once we were satisfied with the placement, we started to peel the backing from the label. Then we applied the decal to the wall and peeled off the other side of the backing; the decal is basically sandwiched between a glossy sheet and a sticky sheet (the one it needs to stay on for wall application).
Here is the way it looked after we applied just the stems. I apologize for all these crappy, blurry pictures. I was trying to not use the "auto" mode on the camera and it was just too dark in there for me to take a good picture myself. Anyway...
And the finished product!
I wish I had a picture of the whole room because it's very large and the wall decal looks awesome in such a big space. There were a few bumps on the wall, but the decal otherwise went on very smooth. The whole process took under two hours and I would say it was pretty easy. Jason had a little trouble making sure the decal transferred to the correct sheet when separating the flanking sheets, but you just have to kind of finesse it and be patient.
The decals are supposedly easy to remove and we will do so if our agent things they are too "out there" for showings. But for now, we will enjoy them. I think wall decals are a really easy way to spruce up a space or would be useful in easing the transition from a nursery to a toddler's room. You can find a diverse assortment of themes, including floral, geometric, classic Nintendo, cityscapes, abstract, and animals. Maybe we will branch out someday into something a little less "safe!"