Tuesday, May 31, 2011

20 Weeks-Halfway Mark!

Well, here I am at the midpoint of my pregnancy. I cannot believe I am halfway there already. I guess technically those first four weeks are a freebie, so I really hope the next 20 don't fly by quite so quickly. I haven't been doing my weekly updates like I planned, so I wanted to record some key moments from the last 11 weeks so that I don't forget them.

After telling my mom at 9 weeks, we didn't tell anyone else until 12 weeks when I told my sister, her husband, and my nephews. Then we told my mother-in-law and her husband the next weekend. We opted to have the optional NT scan at 13 weeks and then we went public. The NT scan was really fun. The baby was a total lazy bones. It just laid there on its back with its hand across its forehead, all dramatic-like. The technician was having a hard time getting the NT measurement, so she would have me cough hard. The baby would just float up and then settle back down, putting its hand across its forehead again. What a stinker! Finally I coughed hard enough for it to slightly turn onto its side and she got the measurements she needed. It was amazing to see how much it had grown since the 6-week ultrasound when it was just a blob with a flashing heart. Now we could see its fingers and toes and its scary skeletal face. It looked like an alien! But a really cute alien. We were happy with the results of the NT scan and blood work and opted to not do the next set of screening for Down Syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities.

We went to Mexico with Jason's co-workers as I transitioned from first to second trimester. He hadn't told anyone at work, so I had to share the news. Neither of us likes bringing attention to ourselves, so it always feels weird to tell people, like you are attention whoring yourself. So, while I understand why he didn't tell people, I didn't exactly relish telling his co-workers. But, they were all really excited for us, which was nice, because some people at school were not very pleased. But I can't really get into all that here.

Once I hit week 14-15, I felt like a completely new person. While I had a relatively easy first trimester, the fatigue was killer. But I did get that energy burst people talk about when I hit my second trimester. I wasn't tired during the day and as long as I didn't stay up too late, I felt great the next day. These days, I feel pretty darn amazing. I was able to work out more often and started running again. I'm going to do a whole post about exercise and pregnancy, but I wanted to mention here that I have really been happy to get out there and pound the pavement again, even if my pace is glacial.

My bump slowly grew over these weeks, but I really feel like I popped after week 17-18. For so long, you feel like you just look fat and not pregnant. In fact, I wanted to wear a t-shirt saying "PREGNANT, NOT FAT." By 20 weeks, your uterus is all the way up to your belly button and the baby is the size of a cantaloupe! I still don't know if strangers can tell if I'm pregnant. I've been going to the zoo to do my sperm research and a girl I know there that I've been talking to the past month came in today to congratulate me, but only because someone else told her. I have been wearing more maternity clothes and I think that helps with the pregnant, not fat thing. Then again, most people wouldn't say anything to a woman unless they practically saw a crowning baby, so that might be part of it.

Week 17 was also very monumental because I started to feel the baby move. Some people say they feel a sensation like bubbles bursting or flutters. Either I didn't feel that or attributed it to gas because I wasn't sure I felt the baby until it actually kicked or punched me. It feels just like how you would imagine-a little foot kicking you from the inside. I can't believe how strong it is already. If I am working at my desk, it is usually active at the same times- a little before noon and before 5:00. Then I usually feel it when I get in bed. Jason felt the baby move for the first time during week 19. He felt one good kick and that's it. He has felt the random kick now and then, but it does take a lot of patience to sit there and wait for the baby to move again. Sometimes I am startled by how hard those movements are. I swear I can feel an actual body part. It is such an indescribable experience.

We go in Friday for our anatomy scan, but are still remaining Team Green. I don't have any intuition about the sex, but admit I would be a little afraid to have a girl! Friday will be a pretty special day because it is my oldest nephew's ninth birthday. In addition, my sister is scheduled to be induced with her fourth baby on Thursday night, which means her baby will probably come on Friday. I can't wait to meet my new little niece or nephew. So, I hope all goes well for all of us on Friday and that Jason and I have a healthy baby in there and that my sister's baby is also healthy. I'm so excited that our baby will have a cousin so close in age.

So, here are my 20 week belly shots. I took the outdoor one yesterday and the bare belly one this morning. My hot pink sports bra had to be retired because it was working way too hard. Onto the gray/neon yellow sports bra, which I really hope will fit for the rest of my pregnancy!

DSC_4809

DSC_4815

How far along are you?: 20w

How big is baby?: cantaloupe

Weight gain/loss?: +6lb at my 17 week appointment

Stretch marks?: Not yet

Maternity clothes?: Mostly for pants, some shirts

Sleep?: I'm sleeping pretty well and only getting up once/night to go to the bathroom.

Best moment this week?: Jason feeling the baby move

Food cravings?: Ice cream

Gender?: It's a surprise

Movement?: Yup, feeling it most days unless I'm really active all day

Belly button?: Yes, still an innie.

Symptoms?: I think I felt round ligament pain yesterday for the first time, but not much other than that

What do I miss?: My cute summer clothes that I won't even get to pull out of storage

What I'm looking forward to this week? Seeing the baby on Friday at the anatomy scan

Milestones?: Making it halfway through this pregnancy!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

you look so cute, mary!!! i love the shirt ("pg, not fat" slogan) idea :) so glad you're getting your energy back. i know it must have been killer for you to not be running or working out.

N. said...

I cannot believe you are halfway there! You're little bump is adorable. I'm so glad to hear you have some energy back and are staying active. That will help so much with labor, delivery, and recovery.
Tell Jason awesome job on the patio and your garden looks great!

Joline said...

Aww you look great! Only one person my whole pregnancy asked me if I was pregnant, and I think it was because I was touching my stomach in a pregnant way. Also, yes, the last 20 weeks are going to fly. Sorry.

Natalie said...

i hope i look as good as you once i'm pregnant!