Thursday, October 20, 2011

Welcome, Elsa Katherine!

SHE is here! I sure am shocked to have a baby girl! I will write a longer birth story later, but Elsa arrived yesterday at 10:22 AM via c-section weighing 8lb and measuring 21" long. She tried really hard to come on her due date, Tuesday the 18th, but I was at the hospital for about 33 hours before she made her debut. My water broke at around 1:30 Tuesday morning. I had to essentially be induced at that point since my cervix was still completely closed and posterior.

After 14 hours of pitocin, I still had made no progress-I was not even 1cm dilated. Even though the contractions weren't bad at this point, I opted to have an epidural to see if that would relax things enough to start dilating. Sure, enough I finally got to three, then seven cm. I had a rough time with the epidural-it came out at 7cm, resulting in excruciating pitocin contractions, and only worked on one side at two different points. I managed to get to 9cm by Wednesday morning and was basically stuck there for four hours. At that point, we knew that pushing would not go well and with the pitocin already maxed out, there wasn't much else to try. The nurses even held me up on my hands and knees after the epidural; everyone was trying so hard to get me the vaginal birth I wanted. In the end, it was better for everyone to get the c-section. My water had broken so many hours ago and there was meconium in my waters. Elsa's heartrate was great, but how much longer could she endure so many contractions?

I was terrified to get the c-section because of all my epidural issues. I was so worried that it would fail in the middle of the procedure. But, everything went fine and my "little" baby ended up being a pretty good size at 8lb! She is beautiful and perfect and has big eyes like Jason. I am in loooooooooove! She is making breastfeeding easy because she is a natural at latching. She was nameless for most of the day, but we finally agreed on Elsa, which has no meaning other than we like it and it's not terribly common. Katherine was a main contender for her first name, but we decided to give it to her as a middle name. It's my middle name too. Here are a few pictures for now. She is mad that she looks like a boy in her Cardinals outfit, but she has to represent:)

DSC_5669

After many hours of labor and tears from pain and accepting the c-section. I had the tremors very badly and couldn't really hold her.

DSC_5708

DSC_5711

DSC_5718

DSC_5720

With her cousin just 4.5 months older. I see trouble in our futures!

DSC_5721

With Grandma

DSC_5723

First bath

DSC_5726

DSC_5731

DSC_5734

DSC_5736

DSC_5739

DSC_5755

DSC_5758

DSC_5761

DSC_5768

DSC_5769

Birth story to come, complete with the realization that Levi is clairvoyant...

21 comments:

Emily said...

She really is a pretty baby. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get some wonderful snuggle time with Elsa. =-)

LC said...

What a beauty! Congrats and enjoy your snuggling time with that little doll.

tdc2283 said...

Beautiful! Have a speedy recovery and enjoy every moment. It will fly by.

*K said...

Wow! Obviously you already know this but she is so beautiful and looks absolutely perfect. And you can totally tell she's ready to latch on in some of these pictures -- I think that's wonderful and one of my favorite parts about a brand new baby (maybe I'm weird). They are just so amazing! Congratulations!

Jennelle said...

Mary, Elsa is absolutely gorgeous! I wish you a speedy recovery.

P.S. I LOVE that pic of her yawning. :)

Sarah said...

Congrats again! She's gorgeous and I hope you recover quickly. I love the hospital hat with a bow. I hadn't seen that before!

Kari in Vegas said...

Congrats!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Sassy said...

Congrats, Mary! She's adorable.

Paige said...

Congratulationsssss she is so adorable!

Two Grad Students and a Pittie said...

AMAZING congrats!

Crunchy Vibe said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl!

Cecilia said...

Congratulations! She is too precious and you guys chose a beautiful name.

Katie said...

Congratulations! She's a doll! Enjoy! :)

Anonymous said...

congratulations! what a wonderful gift you've been given! Debbie D.

Joline said...

I must have missed the Levi thing, but I totally thought you were having a girl. You post was sweet and difficult at the same time, since I knew you didn't have things happen the way you wanted. I had the shakes too after my c-section.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful baby girl and name!

Working and pregnant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. Girls are wonderful!

-Homeless Parrot

Natalie said...

yay! I'm so happy you have a beautiful, healthy baby! :) Enjoy!! She's adorable!

Lynsey T said...

She is so beautiful! Congrats and I am so excited to meet her!!

Two Pitties in the City said...

Congrats! She is so pretty! Love the name too!